How to deal with Fat Shaming?

I have read many articles on fat shaming, on how you should leave the person alone, how it is their body and they can do whatever they want, how they are already struggling with their weight loss, how they look beautiful the way they are and it continues. Well, fortunately for me, I have always been surrounded by people who love me just the way I am.

But in life, you do meet people who would come and tell you, “Oh! I think you have gained some kilos, but you look cute” or “I don’t think you can lose weight, no point trying” or as simple as  “Ma’am, I think size 34 would be fine for you (wink wink)”. Sometimes people say things just out of concern, sometimes they really don’t realize the impact of their words and sometimes, it is purely out of ignorance. Does it pinch? Oh yes!! Hard one indeed. But the key is to take these comments positively or, better yet, as a challenge. These are the comments which I use to keep me motivated to lose those extra kilos. No, I am not doing this for them but for me, because I want to look good, feel good and most of all, feel healthy.


Learn to love yourself, be comfortable with what you are but never give up on yourself. You can never make everyone happy. Negative comments are the way of life just like the popular Hindi song “Kuch to log kahenge….” But never be so comfortable with yourself that you give up on your health. Working out and eating healthy are not just meant for weight loss but to make yourself healthy. Maybe you do not mind those extra kilos, or maybe you do, maybe you do not have those extra kilos at all. Ignore people but start exercising and eating healthy. Why? Because you deserve a better life, you deserve a healthier life and losing those extra kilos is an added bonus (hi -five).


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments